We are extremely grateful to Norman Taylor of the Pinxton and South Normanton Local History Society in Derbyshire for supplying copies of these photographs of Partney. They were taken by a member of the Radford family of Carnfield Hall, South Normanton in about 1862.
This is a view of the Church from the front garden of what is now Partney House. The property was previously known as Ivy House, the earliest reference to this name appears in the 1905 edition of Kelly's directory. In 1764 there came a distinguished visitor to Partney, Doctor Samuel Johnson to visit his friend Peregrine Langton. Peregrine Langton lived in the old house opposite the Church, with the engraven stone in its eastern gable, now known as Partney House. Note the white fence surrounding the churchyard, now replaced with a brick wall. Notice also the screen door to the porch and the lack of a church clock.
This is a view of the South side of St Nicholas Church. Notice the wooden fence since replaced by hedging. There are two vaults enclosed by railings and the headstones are in situ. The building to the right is the White Horse alehouse, at the time being run by Ann Bonnett. Ann Bonnett was born in 1797 in Partney. She was the widow of William Bonnett who was innkeeper of the White Hart in 1841. She continued as landlady of the White Hart until passing it on to her son Henry. She then moved to the White Horse with her daughter Sarah, later known as Sally. Ann is recorded on the 1851, 1861 and 1871 Censuses as a Beer House Keeper whilst Sally is recorded on the 1871 Census as 'House Manager'. All local directories for the period 1861 to 1872 describe Ann as a Beer Seller. Ann died in 1873. Note the sheep hurdles stacked in front of the alehouse.
This is a picture of the pulpit in the church. This handsome stone carved pulpit was probably the most recent addition to the Church at the time it was photographed. It was paid for by the parish choir in 1862. The Church was restored during the incumbency of the Rev. Robert Giles, and re-opened for Divine Service on June 25th, 1863. The nave and aisles were entirely re-built and a new porch erected, after designs by C. Giles. George Wilson Maddison, J. P., of Partney Hall, defrayed the cost of the latter. Note the wooden pews were in existence in the 1860's.
This is a view of the church from outside what is now Wilton Cottage. The sign on the building to the left appears to read 'The Grey Hound' with the name J S Smith below. A Joseph Smith was resident in Spilsby Road at the time of the 1861 census, working as a carpenter. There was a pub known as the White Hart in this vicinity which at this time was being run by Henry Bonnett. Note the sheep hurdles stacked up against the buildings on the left and right. The white house to the right has been demolished although it is understood the 'footprint' of the property is still visible. There is also a wooden gate to the church on the southwest corner of the churchyard.
This picture shows the front of Partney Hall. The occupiers of the Hall at the time were the Maddison family. It is presumably there friendship with the Radford family of Carnfield Hall that resulted in these pictures being taken. The five members of the Maddison family lived in the Hall with their four servants; a cook, a housemaid, a dairy maid and a house servant. George Wilson Maddison was the only son of Colonel George Maddison who purchased the Partney property in 1812.
This shows the rear of Partney Hall Besides inheriting the Partney property of his father, George Wilson Maddison also succeeded his uncle, Colonel Thomas Maddison, in lands at Great Steeping. He married Frances Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Alan Bellingham of Castle Bellingham, Ireland, who died at Partney, April 29th, 1886. George Wilson Maddison died at Partney, June 10th, 1888, and was buried beside his wife in Partney churchyard. His two elder sons having predeceased him, he was succeeded in the Partney and Great Steeping estates by his third son, Henry.